The “Other Side” of Mental Wellness
August 9, 2022 | Counseling Services
Mental wellness is often associated with eliminating something we don’t want… like a disorder. But just as physical health is much more than simply not being sick, mental health is much more than simply not being mentally ill.
Mental wellness is a two-sided coin. Just as much as it is about treating illness, it’s also about nurturing the healthy parts of our mental well-being.
It’s about giving attention to both sides. Neither can exist independently and only by improving one can you improve the other.
Here are 3 tips for cultivating “the good things”.
- The Happier app: a tool that offers concrete, actionable steps to help you build a happier life.
- Happiness at Work: 10 Tips for How to be Happy at Work (positivepsychology.com): being content with our careers is crucial for maintaining the ‘work-life’ balance. Finding happiness at work is not always related to actions and cognitions related to the work itself. Here are ten simple tactics that can help us in rediscovering workplace happiness and sustain it for a long time.
- How to Practice Gratitude – Mindful: Practicing gratitude can be a game-changer: it has far-reaching effects, from improving our mental health to boosting our relationships with others. Building your capacity for gratitude isn’t difficult. It just takes practice.
- Scroll down to this section for practical strategies: https://www.mindful.org/an-introduction-to-mindful-gratitude/#Practice
- Or On days when gratitude feels difficult to find, tune into your senses. This meditation invites you to cultivate thankfulness by slowing down and noticing what you can see, hear, touch, smell, and taste. 5-Minute Gratitude Practice: Savor the Moment – Mindful