Building Parish Capacity
Our application, selection, and award processes have recently changed! Hover on the boxes below for more information:
Charity and Mercy Grants are given to parishes located in the Diocese of Jefferson City directly serving vulnerable people in need, regardless of their faith affiliation.
The grant is designed to expand the capacity of a parish ministry to serve more people or to help develop a new social ministry. It can be used to help start up a new ministry or to purchase items needed for the ministry. This flexibility in use would empower your parish to use your charity and mercy grant for anything from funding the rent for a new ministry space to purchasing a new dishwasher for your existing soup kitchen.
The grant recognizes parishes in the Diocese of Jefferson City providing “charitable service” as defined by Pope Benedict XVI in his encyclical, “Deus Caritas Est” (God Is Love). He listed three specific qualities of a Church-related charitable service which the parish social ministry must exemplify:
- It responds to immediate needs and specific situations with more than “technical care”, but with genuine love and heartfelt concern that enables others to experience the richness and totality of their humanity, made in the image and likeness of God. (DCE #31)
- It is independent of parties or ideologies but sees with the heart where love is needed and acts accordingly, utilizing planning, foresight, and cooperation with other like-minded institutions. (DCE#31)
- It is love given freely. It is not proselytism. The Christian knows when it is time to speak of God and when it is better to say nothing and to let love alone speak. (DCE #31)
Guidelines for Granting Charity & Mercy Grants
- The ministry will be parish-based and operated by the parish.
- Funding will be used for a direct service ministry that helps meet the basic needs of people living in the parish’s communities. Funding should also be used to expand the capacity of a current ministry to serve more people or be used to start a new ministry.
- Subsequent year grants may be awarded based on the number of other applications, the ministry’s fit to the criteria of the award, and the availability of funds. Parishes may apply for funding once every 12 months from the date of the initial application.
- Requests can be up to $5,000.
- Applications must be received by e-mail or direct mail by the Parish Social Ministry office at Catholic Charities. When we receive your application, we will send you an e-mail acknowledging that we have received it.
- A committee of Catholic Charities Board members, Advisory Committee members, and staff reviews all applications. If more information about an application is needed, they will contact you. The Board makes the final decision.
- The Pastors or Administrators and/or contact persons for the ministries are notified of the Award or grant selections quarterly.
- Grant Report requests will be sent with award letters. Grant reports are due within 12 months of the date of the award letter.
Catholic Charities of Central and Northern Missouri
Main Phone Line:
1015 Edmonds Street
Jefferson City, MO 65109
1240 E. Brown School Rd.
Columbia, MO 65202
421 West 3rd Street
Sedalia, Missouri 65301
Diocese of Jefferson City
2207 West Main Street
Jefferson City, MO 65109
Phone: (573) 635-9127