Funding for ministries that serve others
“Inspired by the Gospel of the Beatitudes as proclaimed by Jesus Christ, Catholic Charities of Central and Northern Missouri is committed to providing care and creating hope for the lives of the vulnerable through compassionate social services that respect the dignity of each person and engage the local community in our mission.”
Charity and Mercy Grants are given to parishes directly serving vulnerable people in need, regardless of their faith affiliation. The grant is designed to expand the capacity of a parish ministry to serve more people or to help develop a new social ministry. It can be used to help purchase items needed for the ministry – i.e.: dishwasher for a soup kitchen, computer, tables and chairs for a food pantry, to purchase supplies – even a vehicle for the ministry, etc. It can be used to start a ministry – i.e.: help pay rent to acquire space for a ministry, begin offering financial literacy services to consumers, start a program to teach independent living skills, start a mentoring program for pregnant women, etc.
The grant recognizes parishes providing “charitable service” as defined by Pope Benedict XVI in his encyclical, “Deus Caritas Est” (God Is Love). He listed three specific qualities of a Church-related charitable service which the parish social ministry must exemplify:
- It responds to immediate needs and specific situations with more than “technical care”, but with genuine love and heartfelt concern that enables others to experience the richness and totality of their humanity, made in the image and likeness of God. (DCE #31)
- It is independent of parties or ideologies but sees with the heart where love is needed and acts accordingly, utilizing planning, foresight, and cooperation with other like-minded institutions. (DCE#31)
- It is love given freely. It is not proselytism. The Christian knows when it is time to speak of God and when it is better to say nothing and to let love alone speak. (DCE #31)
Charity and Mercy Grants assists parish’s social ministries that complement the Mission of Catholic Charities of Central and Northern Missouri.
- Sacred Heart Parish, Columbia – English Language Learner Program
- St. Thomas More Newman Center Parish, Columbia – Interfaith Garden Project
- El Puente Hispanic Ministry, Jefferson City – Phone System Upgrade
- St. Bernadette Catholic Church, Hermitage – Community Outreach
- St. Vincent De Paul Conference of St. Brendan Parish, Mexico – Beds for Kids Program
- St. Joseph School, Westphalia – Blankets for Babies and Cozy Covers Program