Catholic Campaign for Human Development

Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD)

CCHD helps us fulfill the appeal of Pope Benedict XVI in his 2009 World Day of Peace Message:

“I extend to every disciple of Christ and to every person of good will a warm invitation to expand their hearts to meet the needs of the poor and to take whatever practical steps are possible in order to help them.”

– 2009 World Day of Peace Message: Fighting Poverty to Build Peace, #15.

Mission of CCHD

The Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) is justice and charity in action through the Church. A domestic anti-poverty, social justice program of the U.S. Catholic bishops, the CCHD’s mission is to address the root causes of poverty in America through promotion and support of community-controlled, self-help organizations and through transformative education. For more information, visit their website.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How does the CCHD work in the Diocese of Jefferson City?

The mission of CCHD is made possible by the generous support of Catholics in the United States, especially through an annual collection taken up in most parishes the Sunday before Thanksgiving. From this collection, 25% of the collection remains in the diocese, while the remaining 75% is collected by the USCCB to distribute for larger national funding opportunities from which Missouri agencies and organizations that address the systemic root of poverty can also apply.

Where do these funds go?

The mission of the 25% of the collection that remains in the diocese is now designed to support community-based initiatives that are strongly engaged by the local Catholic parish to solve community-wide problems. The grant funds will financially assist parish ministries that will empower the poor to make ongoing life changes to become more self-sufficient in meeting his or her basic human needs. Therefore, the parish CCHD grant is designed to fund ministries that make transformational changes for those they serve and not just increasing the ministry’s capacity to assist more people through direct assistance (if this is a need for your ministry, please contact Parish Social Ministry about our Charity and Mercy Grant). A sample of ministry examples include:

  • a financial literacy program for those receiving emergency financial assistance from the parish
  • implementing a weatherization program coupled with a training session on heating tips
  • creating a cooking class or book for clients attending the parish’s food pantry
  • starting a career center to help those living on the margins with writing resumes, how to interview and assist with job searches.
When is the CCHD Collection?

The 2019 collection for the Catholic Campaign for Human Development was the weekend of November 23-24. If you'd like to see more information about that collection, you can view a bulletin announcement or bulletin insert.

How do we apply for this funding?

For ministries interested in applying for these funds, application and moral conduct forms are due in February.  For more details about this funding opportunity please see the criteria guideline or contact Dan Lester at dlester@cccnmo.org or 635-7719.

Who oversees this project?

The national funding opportunities are overseen by Dan Lester, who serves as the diocesan director for CCHD. Dan can be reached at 635-7719 or dlester@cccnmo.org.  More information may be obtained at www.usccb.org/cchd/grants.

Apply for your parish:

CCHD Grant Application

Download this PDF and return to apply for a CCHD grant for your parish.

Moral Code of Conduct for CCHD Grant

This PDF details the moral code of conduct required to apply for a CCHD grant for your parish.

CCHD Local Grant Criteria Guideline

This PDF Guide can help you understand the CCHD grant.