Senior Food Boxes

Serving Seniors with a Monthly Food Package

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP, or Senior Food Boxes) works to improve the health of low-income persons at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA Food.

Catholic Charities, through our partnership with The Food Bank for Central and Northeast Missouri  and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) distributes Senior Boxes to qualifying residents in Cole County and Howard County.

What Foods are Included in a Senior Box?

Food packages include a variety of foods, such as nonfat dry and ultra high-temperature fluid
milk, juice, farina, oats, ready-to-eat cereal, rice, pasta, peanut butter, dry beans, canned meat, poultry, or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables.

Who Qualifies for a Senior Box from Catholic Charities?

Cole County and Howard County residents age 60 and over who meet income eligibility guidelines qualify for the program.  Currently, seniors 60 and over with household income at 130% or less of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) qualify.  For a household of one, this equates to $1,396 or less monthly, for a household of four, the total income cannot exceed $2,871 monthly.

Download: CSFP Income Guidelines

How do I receive my Senior Box from Catholic Charities?

Catholic Charities staff and volunteers work with Senior Box recipients to arrange a time for drop off of the box to the senior's home.  Recipients are required to sign for the box on receipt.  Proxies can be arranged if the recipient is unavailable.

How do I apply for a Senior Box from Catholic Charities?

Applications for the Senior Box Program can be completed three ways:

  1. Download, complete, and return all application materials to Catholic Charities.  Completed materials can be emailed to Diane Elam, Program Assistant, at
  2. Applications can be completed over the phone: (573) 635-7719.
  3. Catholic Charities staff are happy to assist with completing an application in person.  Please contact us to schedule.

In order for an application to be complete, the following forms and information are required:

  1. Completed Application: Download: Senior Box Application
  2. Proof of Residency (Copy).  Examples: Utility bills, lease agreement, recent piece of mail, doctor or hospital record, voter registration card
  3. Proof of Age (Copy).  Examples: Driver’s license, birth certificate, Missouri ID, military record showing age
  4. Completed Oasis Release of Information.  Catholic Charities utilizes the Oasis database system to manage the Senior Box program.  Download: Oasis Release of Information

Once all application materials are received, Catholic Charities will confirm eligibility and contact applicants regarding their enrollment and next steps.

Please contact Judith Mutamba, Director of Food & Nutrition Services, for question or more information on applying for a Senior Food Box from Catholic Charities: or (573) 635-7719

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.