Sr. Director of Communications
Sr. Director of Development
Sr. Director of Programs & Services
Sr. Director of Support Services
Agency Receptionist and Administrative Assistant
Who We Are
Catholic Charities of Central and Northern Missouri is a non-profit social service agency, and an entity of the Diocese of Jefferson City, responding to the needs of people in 38 counties regardless of faith, culture, or situation.
A Message from Our Bishop
Open Hearts, Open Doors: A New Home for Catholic Charities
La Salette in Jefferson City
From the La Salette website: The property was purchased by Fr. William Crane, M.S., Provincial, for the La Salette Missionaries in 1948. It comprises 10.5 acres with a large main house. The property, known as the Otto Botz property, was bought by the St. Peter's School group of St. Louis. The school association then resold the land to the La Salette order, Mr. and Mrs. Botz donating their equity in the building to the project.
The large concrete and brick building in which the Botz interests formerly operated was used as the main the school building. This approximately 25,000 square feet of floor space was converted into a chapel, class and recreation rooms, dormitories, a kitchen and dining room. The capacity was listed as approximately 150 students.
The La Salettes also purchased the Botz residence just south of the main plot of land, and additional adjoining tracts of land. The Botz residence was used as a faculty residence. A smaller building, known as the old Heidtker home, was used as a residence for the Sisters assigned here in charge of seminary dining rooms.
The new junior seminary was opened with a Solemn Pontifical Mass on Sept. 8, 1948.
Helen A. Shikles Senior Center
For many years after the La Salette seminary closed, the former chapel served as a senior center for the residents of Jefferson City. In 1983 the center was renamed the Helen A. Shikles Senior Center, in honor of Helen and Lonnie Shikles.
From the plaque that is still present at the building: "Lonnie Shikles was a commissioner of the Housing Authority from 1964 to 1978. He served as chariman from 1971 to 1973. When he learned that this senior center could not properly function without an elevator he generously contributed toward it as a memorial to his wife, Helen. The many people who knew her must surely agree that the present commissioners acted appropriately in accepting Lonnie's gift and in resolving to name this center in honor of Helen, so that all who are served here will remember her."
Our Progress in Pictures
Help us turn our dreams into reality! Give today and your gift will be matched dollar for dollar by the J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation! Help us create a place where our whole community may feel at home, expand our ability to serve our neighbors in need, and restore a piece of our mid-Missouri Catholic heritage. Donating online is safe, quick and easy!
Funding for the purchase of the building and land was provided by a generous grant from the SSM Health, St. Mary's Hospital Foundation.
Catholic Charities of Central and Northern Missouri
1015 Edmonds Street
Jefferson City, MO 65109
1240 E. Brown School Rd.
Columbia, MO 65202
421 West 3rd Street
Sedalia, Missouri 65301
Catholic Charities of Central and Nothern Missouri
P.O. Box 104626
Jefferson City, MO 65110
Diocese of Jefferson City
2207 West Main Street
Jefferson City, MO 65109
Phone: (573) 635-9127